Saturday, July 25, 2015

Why We Need To Be More Like Anne




    My goal for this blog is to give writers like myself advice about how to better your writing abilities. This may seem like an odd, unfitting post, but bear with me, as it will make sense in the end.
   Any civilized person knows who Anne of Green Gables is. If you don't, then get your nose out of your post-apocalyptic books and read some of the beautiful classics. I mean no offense to anyone who enjoys YA (I enjoy YA for gosh sakes)!
   Anyway. What words do you think of when you think of Anne? I know that the words I think of are Imaginative, awesome (The true meaning of the word: full of awe), stubborn, passionate, and intelligent. 
   My posts are mainly aimed at young writers, so what do you think of when I say teenager or young adult?
I don't know about you, but this is what I think of:

 

See any patterns? The average teenager checks their phone around 150 times a day. 
That is a lot.

   As a writer, I look for experience in everything I do. Whether it is a walk around the block, a trip to the store, or even just sitting on your front porch. I live off of experience. Anything or anyone I might see that I could use in a story, I drink it up. But you can't do that if you're always looking at your phone (or iPod, iPad, Tablet, or any other device)
   My point is nothing other than urging teenagers these days to get off their devices, and look at the beautiful sky, make eye contact when you talk. As superior as it may seem, it is the little details (like subtle facial expressions or eye movement) that make the conversations in your stories come to life.
   The sense of wonder is almost lost in this generation. We can't let that happen. This is my plea to all writers.
 
Yes, this is a lecture, but it is also a post about how to further your writing abilities.

Open up your eyes and soak up the sights of life. Let's be more like Anne.




-The Bandit




No comments:

Post a Comment